Happy Meatless Monday once again! I used the title “powered by tofu” before and I’m reusing it because I am powered by Tofu! I don’t eat it for every meal BUT there’s just so much you can do with it, and it’s absolutely amazing.
I was having the most insane craving for potatoes! Which is weird, I wanted roasted potatoes SO BADLY. It was insane. So I was up early on my day off, for a reason I could not tell you, besides that’s just how I roll apparently, so I got up, got ready, went to the grocery store, picked up more tofu, the potatoes and went on the hunt for this turmeric I’d heard so much about, hoping it wasn’t too insanely expensive since of course I had like $20 tops to spend on this little breakfast shopping spree I was on. Luckily I got some for about $2.98! and ended up spending a total of $16! PERFECT! Here’s how I made an absolutely delicious meal of Tofu and roasted potatoes which lasted me FOUR MEALS, three different ways!
- Potatoes of your choosing, I used about 8 small russet and 8 small sweet potatoes.
- Tofu of your choosing. I used Nasoya Organic Extra firm tofu.
- minced fresh garlic.
- Onion Powder
- Bayou Cajun seasoning
- Olive Oil
- Preheat oven to 450
- Wash and Cut potatoes into cubes/ or chunks.
- Toss in bowl with enough olive oil to cover potatoes ( use your judgement) add in your spices, salt and minced garlic. Mix it all up with a spoon or your hands!
- Put the potatoes into your oven safe pan, feel free to add a little more oil and spices as you think is necessary. ( I added just a little bit more of each!)
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes
- While potatoes are cooking, prepare your tofu. Get as much water out as you can.
- Place in a bowl and mash it all up with a fork. or if you’re lucky enough to have a potato masher use that! I read somewhere to do that and WISH i had, had one to use. but a fork works just fine.
- You’re mashing up the tofu to give you the “scrambled egg” like look
- One you like the look of the tofu, place in a frying pan on medium heat for about five minutes alone. Mix occasionally
- After the 5 minutes, add in the turmeric and any other spices you would like. ( just added a little garlic powder and salt, the turmeric was tasty enough!)
- Cook the tofu for about 15 minutes or so.
- I found that the potatoes were done with only a few minutes left for the tofu which was perfect!
- Once the potatoes and tofu are done I put some of them together in the frying pan with the tofu to marry the flavors together.
- And BAM there you go!
I was able to get four different meals out of this, if you count the potatoes I put away for another meal without the tofu.
first meal was what I ate right after which was my own breakfast type burritos. Just added the tofu and potatoes to the wrap. Only thing I would have liked was some kind of dressing, it was a little dry with the potatoes BUT it was still delicious and definitely satisfied my craving!
The second and third meal was just simply tofu and potatoes in a bowl! Filled me right up for my lunches at work and are perfect for some days when my lunch breaks are at 1030 am! It’s hard to find something hardy to eat that early, at least for me, so having this makes it easier because its perfect for an early lunch, or a later one!
Then the fourth meal was just eating to potatoes by itself for a lunch one day! I didn’t even want anything else. I wasn’t starving, just kinda hungry and the leftover potatoes hit the spot!
I have such a huge love affair with tofu. There’s so many things you can do with it, many ways I haven’t even tried to do yet, but scrambling it is probably my favorite, maybe because for me, it’s the easiest way 😉
Do you have any go to tofu lovin’ recipies to share? please do. Either here in the comments or on my instagram @/amandaraeex3 or my twitter at @/amandaraee_x3 !
p.s. I will forever be using Turmeric in my tofu, especially the scramble, because it was so yummy, I serious wonder how the heck I hadn’t used it ever until this!
until next week.