If you’re anything like me you either are a book lover or chances are you know someone who is. I’ve got way too many books, and even though I have a nice stack that I have yet to read, I KEEP BUYING MORE, because I just can’t help myself. There are so many amazing stories by so many amazing authors and I just ache to get lost in their worlds.
So for today’s gift guide? 5 of my all time favorite books, 4 of my all time favorite series, 1 author that I recommend no matter what kind of reader you are, and of course, some super wonderful reading acessories I’ve come across that are more than worth sharing.
First up, 5 of my all time favorite books.
- Love Warrior By Glennon Doyle
- This book gave me more than I could ever give back to anyone. While I’ve never been married or divorced, never had kids, and never been religious, the words that Glennon put on theses pages spoke not only to me, but my soul. Her memoir has this incredible ability to set off lightbulbs in your head. It has the ability to make you force yourself to make realizations that you knew were true but you were too afraid to admit to yourself, let alone outloud. I bought this book shortly after it’s release, and it was a time in my life where I was feeling like anything BUT a warrior of any kind. The minute I started it, it was so hard to put down. I was sneaking in 20 minutes here and there because I desperately needed more of the words that were, not only opening my eyes but making me feel something other than sadness. Since buying this book I found a strength inside myself that I don’t necessarily believe I would have tapped into if the story of Glennon Doyle hadn’t forced me to do so. The new year is upon us and if you’re looking for some kind of sign, picking up this book might just give that to you.
2. Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert.
- I don’t think it would be too far off to say that reading this book is the reason I have a blog to write this post on. I’ve been writing since I was probably eight. I’ve been wanting to share that writing somewhere, not to anyone I know of course, because my anxiety doesn’t allow that, but somewhere, outthere, I wanted something I wrote to be. This book is the reason I took the chance to send some poems into a few publishers, only to actually be published in their collection book and then to recieve a letter asking me to be apart of their best of 2018 series. I never had that “you can do anything you want” mentality or support, and self-motivation was squashed in me a long time ago but when I read this book something awoke. “She discusses the attitudes, approaches, and habits we need in order to live our most creative lives.” Those words are written in the front flap of this book and I think that sums it up perfectly. The words Elizabeth writes has a way of enlightening you, bringing that passion of writing, reading and storytelling to the front when I’ve always felt the need to push it as far back as possible. Regardless of if you’re an artist or not, Big Magic is the perfect dose of inspiration that everyone could use.
3. Harry Potter fan? Well.
- I have a special rehearsal edition script of Harry Potter and the cursed child parts one and two and my gosh is it amazing. I am that girl that can continually watching Harry Potter movies all the time and never gets sick of them. At 26, I’m a full fledged potter head, and I’m not sorry, I embrace it. #HouseRavenclaw 😉 Anyways, I didn’t know if I’d like this Edition because it’s in the form of a play but I think I liked it even better because of it. So if you are, or know of a harry potter fan who doesn’t have this, I think it would make an excellent gift!
4. Wrestling Fan? hmm…
- I have read a few great books written by wrestlers. Mick Foley, Goldust, Charlotte and Ric Flair, and Chris Jericho all wrote incredible stories, I own all of them, and I highly recommend them. But the one book I recommend the most is My improbable journey to the main event of wrestlemania by Daniel Bryan. If you’re a wrestling fan you obviously know his journey, but reading this book gives it a whole new spin on that journey and everything that came before and some things after. It is exceptionally well written and I truly believe it should be read by not only wrestling fans but anyone looking for a feel good story about never givng up on your dreams.
5. Supernatural Fan? I got you.
- I did a whole book review on Family don’t end with blood, a book filled with cast and fan stories about how this show has changed lives, edited by Lynn S. Zubernis. You can read my entire raving review of it here: https://missraee.wordpress.com/2017/10/20/book-review-family-dont-end-with-blood/
- If you’re not a fan yourself but know someone who is, double check they haven’t already grabbed a copy of this bad boy and then do them the favor of gifting it to them. Supernatural is not just a show, it’s a family, and the stories in this book explain how and why.
- If you’re a Supernatural fan chances are you’ve heard about this compilation of stories already and my only question to you is what are you waiting for? The Supernatural family is special, I don’t think I need to tell you that. I think I cried half a dozen times while reading the stories in this book, and I felt the words in my soul in more than half of them. This is exactly the gift you want this holiday.
Part 2: My four favorite Book series so far. That all happen to be Sci-Fi related.
If you’re like me, you love it when a story keeps going. I welcome three to four book continuations because most of the time one book, even at 600 pages isn’t enough to tell that incredible story. I am obsessed with Sci-Fi, which if you pay any attention to my social media at all, you already know. So it’s not surprisng when I think of my favorite books, most of them are Sci-fi genred.
- Shadow Falls Series. By C.C. Hunter.
- After reading these incredible books, I can honestly say C.C Hunter is one of my all time favorite authors. The way the books are written, the words used, the feeling you get, the way you can picture things in your mind, she’s incredible. It combines the paranormal, with mystery, with romance, with self-discovery. With 5 books that focuses and follows the main character and her friends, an additional three which follow one of those said friends and additional Novellas, it is incredibly hard not to fall in love with the Shadow Falls world and the characters that Hunter so brilliently brings to life. There are a lot of books, but I promise you they’re worth every dime. To find out more about the series and C.C. Hunter herself visit http://www.cchunterbooks.com/books/shadowfalls.html
2. The 5th Wave Series by Rick Yancey.
- The first book was turned into a major motion picture starring Chloe Grace Mortez and Alex Roe, which is how I found out about this book to begin with. I’ve read the three books and I’ve seen the one movie that was made and I can honestly say both adaptations are great, but I think you’ll agree nothing compares the the images you can create while reading this stunning series. The stories biggest lesson is survival, how it can change you, for better and for worse, and much more. If you’re even a little bit of a sci-fi fan, I highly recommend giving this book a shot, and if you know someone who likes Alien stories, or sci-fi in general, this series would make one hell of a present. Learn more about the author and his stories here: http://www.rickyancey.com/
3. Vampire Academy Series by Richelle Mead.
- I found this book while strolling Barnes and Noble and it was right around the time I was infatuated with The Vampire Diaries so basically anything with Vampire in the title was grabbing my attention faster than anything else. But this wasn’t like any kind of vampire story that I read or watched before.. This series has six books, and was even made into a movie ( which I watched, it was great, and I wish there were more!) There is a fasinating dynamic that sets this vampire story apart from the rest and would be a phenomenal gift to anyone to has the love of a good vampire story like myself. Learn more: http://www.richellemead.com/books
4. Shatter Me series by Tahereh Mafi.
- I absolutely adore the writing of Tahereh Mafi. The Shatter me series is a story of using what you thought was your weakness, the worst part of yourself and finding a way to turn it into power, help it shape you into who you want to be. OR at least that’s how I saw it. visit http://www.taherehbooks.com/the-books/ to get a better idea about this incredible story and author.
What’s some amazing new books without some reading accessories to go with them?! I scoured the internet and found some super cute accessories every book lover, including myself, should have!
These totes are incredibly cute, most seem big enough to fit not only your books but maybe even a laptop or tablet. School work? snacks? endless possibilities.
I personally am in desperate need of some super cute bookends and that superhero one looks perfect. I have a ton of mugs, but you can never have too many. If I had library, a real library, that Book lover lane sign would definitely be in it. And I seriously might end up getting that bracelet for myself.
So any other time of the year besides winter, I hate socks. I am barefoot as much as humanly possible. But in the winter my feet are ALWAYS cold, and I hate boring socks. If I’m going to wear socks, you bet they’re going to be cute, like these ones I found. Plus the sweatshirt and t-shirt are so simple, yet so cute.
I recently got a tablet for my birthday, and I really love it. I also have amazon prime and recently figured out that some free books come with that. Free books?! music to my ears. I have always been the girl who prefers a real solid book when reading, but over the weekend while exploring those free book options I found a bunch that sounded interesting, and I read one, and I didn’t totally hate reading it on the tablet! If you know someone who has a tablet whether for personal use or work use the pillow holder and case are excellent ideas! And I’m terrible about bookmarks, I just use whatever to mark my page but those harry potter ones? I will own them sooner rather than later. 😉
and that’s that.
I’m a serious book nerd, and one of my happiest places ever is barnes and noble. And i’m not even sorry about it. So if you’re like me, or you know someone like me, then take some of these accessories and book suggestions into account. Do you have some must reads or must have accessories? send ’em my way!