I am a Sci-fi/ fantasy TV LOVER
and I know I’m not alone.
I know that so many are quarantined, whether self-induced or not, (stay inside, wash your hands, be smart, be safe <3). Also, it’s Sunday, and maybe someone is just looking for a few shows to dive into to end their days on a positive note. Either way, I thought it was a good time to browse through Netflix and find my favorite Sci-Fi TV shows that they have, that I would highly recommend for anyone who loves the genre and is looking for something! At the end, I also added six Netflix TV shows that are not sci-fi related and just as binge-worthy as the rest!
Let us jump in!
1. The Vampire Diaries—Created by Kevin Williamson and Julie Plec. Based on the books of L.J. Smith. Dive into the world of vampires, werewolves, witches, and humans combined with love, high school, secrets, and so much more. The first of what has turned into three installments of this wild, crazy world. Starring Ian Somerhalder, Nina Dobrev, Paul Wesley, Candice Accola-King, and many more. The show is wrapped, and there are eight seasons on Netflix.
2. The Originals—Created by incredible Julie Plec. Follow the first vampire family, through trials of life, love, revenge, family, and everything in between. The second installment of the vampire phenomenon that kicked off from TVD. Starring Joseph Morgan, Daniel Gillies, Phoebe Tonkin, Charles Michael Davis, Claire Holt, and more. The show is wrapped, and there are five seasons on Netflix.
3. Legacies—Created again by the incredible by Julie Plec. The third and current installment of this world follows a new generation in the same town of mystic falls. Studying at the Salvator School for the young and gifted brings together the daughter of Klaus, and the twin daughters of Caroline/Jo and Alaric along with other gifted kids who happen to be witches, vampires, werewolves, a phoenix, and there’s even a fairy. Fighting monsters, and navigating normal and supernatural life. Season one is on Netflix, season two is currently airing on TV. Starring Danielle Rose Russell, Kaylee Bryant, Jenny Boyd, Matthew Davis Aria Shahghasemi, Quincy Fouse, and many more.
(I would recommend watching TVD, then the Originals, and then Legacices if you really want to get truly engulfed in this stunning world).
4. Supernatural—Created by Eric Kripke. Saving people hunting things, the family business. Two brothers, angels, demons, the king of hell, a town drunk, a couple of wayward ladies, and many more intriguing characters bring us through an incredible fifteen season story. Starring Jared Padalecki, Jensen Ackles, Misha Collins, and many, many more. There are fourteen seasons currently on Netflix, with the fifteenth and final season wrapping up on the CW soon.
5. The Magicians—Created by the incredible Sera Gamble and John McNamara. Based on the novels of Lev Grossman. A world of secret academies, magical students, love, existence, new worlds, and danger around what ends up seeming to be around every corner. Starring Jason Ralph, Stella Maeve, Olivia Dudley, Hale Appleman, Summer Bishil, and more. There are four seasons on Netflix, with the fifth and final season finishing up on SYFY now.
6. V-Wars—Created by William Laurin and Glenn Davis. A Netflix original series with an ancient disease, vampire-like symptoms, a world is shaken up, and a doctor who is desperately trying to save it Starring, Ian Somerhalder, Adrian Holms, Laura Vandervoort, and more. It currently has one season on Netflix, with the hopes of a season two still being awaited announcement.
7. The Order—Created by Dennis Heaton. This Netflix original brings us special universities with big secret societies, magic, monsters, family secrets, and more. Starring, Jake Manley, Sarah Grey, Adam Dimarco, and more. Season two is coming soon! One of my favorite accidental finds!
8. Roswell, New Mexico—Created by the ultra-talented Carina Adly MacKenzie. Get lost in a world with Cowboys, aliens, love, mystery, and so, so much more. Starring. Jeanine Mason, Nathan Parsons, Michael Vlamis, Tyler Blackburn, and many more. Season one is on Netflix, and season two will premiere on the CW on Monday! If you need any more reason to watch this one, check out my post here —> https://missraee.wordpress.com/2020/03/10/7-reasons-to-watch-roswell-new-mexico/
9. Colony—Created by Carlton Cuse. One of the most heartbreaking of cancellations I’ve encountered, I believe there was way more story to tell. Luckily though, it was able to be wrapped up decently. The takeover by outside forces, occupation vs. the rebellion, family, tragedy, and so much more. Starring Josh Holloway, Srah Wayne Callies, Peter Jacobson, Tory Kittle, and more. There are three seasons!
10. Bitten—Created by Daegan Fryklind. While it seems many sci-fi/fantasy TV shows focus on magic or vampires, this one is very werewolf centric. The battle between the animal and the human side of only living female werewolf, torn between her pack and her desire for more. Starring Laura Vandervoort, Greyston holt, Greg Bryk, and more. This was another accidental find that I wish had more time to tell more of a story, but again, it was able to wrap up quick beautifully. There are three seasons.
11. Legends of Tomorrow—Created by Greg Berlanti, Marc Guggenheim, Andrew Kreisberg, and Phil Klemmer. It was a must to add some superhero life into this list, and while I could have easily added Arrow, Supergirl, The Flash, and/or Black Lightening to this list, I felt the need to highlight this one instead. Bringing together heroes and villains, time-traveling to protect the timeline, crazy costumes, and incredible adventures. Starring Caity Lotz, Brandon Routh, Dominic Purcell, Maisie Richardson, Nick Zano, Tala Ashe, and more. There are four seasons on Netflix, and season five is currently airing on the CW.
12. Once Upon A Time—Created by Edward Kitsis and Adam Horowitz. Fairytales clash with the modern world in the most incredible way, with a little magic, a little love, a bunch of stories all wrapped up into one. Staring Lana Parrilla, Jennifer Morrison, Ginnifer Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Robert Carlyle, and more. All seven seasons are available on Netflix.
13. The 100—Created by Jason Rothenberg, A post-apocalyptic gem of a story that is very different than most shows. Based on a novel by Kass Morgan, it stars Eliza Taylor, Bob Morley, Lindsey Morgan, Marie Avgeropoulos, and more. There are six seasons of Netflix with season seven coming to The CW later this year.
14. Stranger Things—Created by the Duffer Brothers, Matt, and Ross. Young kids, small town, incredible mystery, terrifying creatures that I thought might be a little too much for me, but thankfully me and my scaredy-cat self have powered through. Starring Millie Bobby Brown, Gaten Matarazzo, Finn Wolfhard, Noah Schnapp, Caleb McLaughlin, Winona Ryder, David harbour and more. All three installments of the show are on Netflix, and a fourth installment has been confirmed.
Bonus TV gems that are not non-sci-fi related, but so dang good:
1. YOU—Created by the incredible Greg Berlanti and Sera Gamble, a psychological thriller starring Penn Badgley that is so good and so insane you cannot look away. There are two seasons currently on Netflix.
2. Greys Anatomy—Created by Shonda Rhimes, an incredible Medical Drama starring Ellen Pompeo, Chandra Wilson, James Pickens JR., and more. There are fifteen seasons on Netflix with season sixteen airing right now on ABC.
3. Scandal— Also Created by Shonda Rhimes, Scandal is a political thriller that stars Kerry Washington that will blow you away. All seven incredible seasons are available on Netflix.
4. Virgin River—Based on the Virgin River novels by Robyn Carr, this romance drama was produced for TV by Reel World Management. Follow a nurse practitioner as she goes from big-time LA to a small town in northern California, searching for a change and gets so much more. Starring, Alexandra Breckenridge, Marin Henderson, Tim Matheson, Annette O’Toole, and more. What I thought was a regular romance movie, was a 10 episode TV show that gave me more than I bargained for.
5. Dead to me—Created by Liz Feldman. TV comedy with a whole lot of drama stars Christina Applegate and Linda Cardellini in an incredible 10 episode Netflix original with love, betrayal, friendship, grief, and so much more.
6. Shameless—Created by John Wells. Originally airing on Showtime, this comedy-drama follows the magnificently screwed up Gallagher family through their trials and tribulations of life. It’s so good, yet so messed up, and yet, you cannot stop watching. Starring Emmy Rossum, William H. Macy, Jeremy Allen White, Cameron Monaghan, Emma Kenney, and more. There are nine seasons on Netflix right now, with season ten wrapped on showtime a little while ago, and season eleven being the final season this is a great show to get lost in.