Vegetarian Cheese Enchiladas with Spanish Rice
I’ve been attempting to make it a mission that my family eats at LEAST one meatless meal a week. I honestly thought id’ be harder than it has been, but they’ve actually been pretty open to it. My mom will try anything unless I put tofu in it… she had a bad experience when she was younger and she wont go near it now! Another mission I hope to alter someday. Anyways, in this mission this week I decided to make something Meatless for them but also try something new myself. I’ve never had an enchilada before, probably because i’m not for spicy foods or much Mexican dishes honestly. Brie Bella, has a youtube series with her sister that i’ve mentioned on here before and sometimes she’ll do “Chef Brie” videos and i absolutely love them because both her and her husband are vegetarians so these videos are things I can try to make myself and that’s where I got the idea for these Enchiladas. On this mission to get my family to eat meatless at LEAST once a week, I also told myself that I wouldn’t try bombarding them with anything over the top and crazy because that’ll just scare them away, another reason that these Enchiladas seemed like the perfect idea! So let’s get down to the way I made these bad boys!
- Tortilla wraps
- Enchilada Sauce
- Baking pan
YUP, that’s it.
I also made some simple Spanish rice to go with it, which I also got from Bries video. Simple Rice a Roni Spanish rice which only needed
- Earth Balance butter
- Diced tomatoes
- Read the directions from the box which also included some water, otherwise THAT’S IT too! how easy right?!
What to do.
- Preheat oven to 375.
- The Rice will take about 20 minutes and so will the enchiladas so I prepared the rice first.
- 3tbsp of butter with the rice until it’s golden brown
- Then add in 2 cups of water ( i used two boxes of rice so i used like 3 1/2 cups of water) and the seasoning packet into the rice. Stir and then add the diced tomatoes.
- Bring that to a boil and then bring heat down to low, cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes.
- Put some enchilada sauce on the bottom of your pan, just enough to cover it basically. My cans were small so I used one whole can on the bottom.
- Then you just put cheese inside the tortilla and wrap it up! Place it in the sauce. Make as many as will fit. I made eight which was perfect for each of us to have two!
- Then add more enchilada sauce on top, depending on how spicy you want it determines how much more you choose to put on and add extra cheese on top, these are cheese enchiladas after all!
Now remember these are vegetarian not vegan because I used regular cheese, but they can EASILY be made vegan by just using vegan cheese! A delicious Mexican meal that helps me transition my family into eating less and less meat!
AND if you’re interested in more Chef Brie recipes here’s the link to all her recipes including the one that inspired this dish! and you can find so much more about the Bella Twins here as well!