In honor of Earth Day this Saturday I put together a list of 20 things anyone anywhere can do to aid in the protection of our planet. These things are simple, many of them almost seem too simple but every little thing helps!
1. Recycle. Recycle. Recycle. I know you see and hear this everywhere but that’s because it is SO important to do!
2. Combine all your errands into as few trips as possible… one trip for everything is even better! you’ll save time, gas, on top of sending less carbon gas emission into the air!
3. Make a plan. If you make a plan before you hit the store you’re less likely to buy things you don’t actually need and less likely to buy things that will end up going bad and you’ll end up wasting.
4. Donate food to food kitchens and donate unwanted or no longer fitting clothes instead of throwing it out.
5. Learn ways to reuse everyday things. You can even reuse a ziplock bag, just wash it out! Use a milk jug for water, ice tea, ect. Use pasta sauce jars to store bulky pantry items such as cereal or beans!
6. Find your green thumb. Even growing something small on your window sill in the kitchen, or pot flowers on your porch!
7. Shop at farmers markets when you can and buy fruits and vegetables that are in season. You’ll help to reduce the carbon footprint made to ship anything out of season to you.
8. Drop the plastic. Bring your own reusable bad to the store! It is an endless battle to get my mom to do this every week, but it really is quite simple.
9. Drop the water bottles. Get a travel mug, use the tap, get a filter if you need too.
10. Whenever possible wash your clothes in warm water instead of hot and if you can wash them in cold water. Wait to wash your clothes until you have a full load, same goes for the dishwasher if you have one. You’ll also save money on your electric bill this way too.
11. Shut off the water while you’re brushing your teeth. Such a simple thing to do that can save SO much water!
12. Use energy efficient light bulbs and buy appliances with the energy star logo on them.
13. Hang your clothes on a dry rack or the clothes line whenever you can. Besides helping the earth, you’re clothes will also last longer this way!
14. If you’re not into the whole vegetarian/ vegan thing, at least pick one day a week where you will eat meat free. Meatless Monday is a good place to start. If you need ideas search the rest of this blog for some recipes!
15. Turn off the lights whenever you’re not in the room or when they aren’t needed! another way to also save money.
16. Go paperless! Get your bank statements sent to your email instead of the mail !
17. Use rechargeable batteries. The money you’ll spend to do so you’ll save in the long run. This is something I personally need to invest in !
18. Use leftover to make new meals! A little research and you can transform your leftovers into something completely different if you’re someone who just can’t handle the leftover thing.
19. Cut your shower by two minutes. A simple two minutes can save so much water.
20. Be mindful of the cleaning products that you use. Meyers, Method, Seventh Generation and green works are some options of earth friendly cleaners!
Some of these things might seem too simple but they truly can make such a difference, and there’s even more things you can do besides the 20 ideas I put together, all it takes is a little research.
Being informed and doing whatever we can to help protect the earth is what we all should be doing. and why? because we only have one earth, one home, and it’s our duty to protect it.