Meatless Monday doesn’t have to be about just breakfast lunches and dinners. It’s about snacks and desserts too!
A few weeks ago I had planned on going out shopping, spending Christmas gift cards, and then we got hit with a snow storm.
So, change of plans. Instead I decided to cook, and I decided to make Brownies. I figured since my vegan cookies didn’t come out half bad, why not give brownies a shot!
I found this recipe online… I unfortunately forgot where, BUT props to whoever did make this recipe because my brownies came out SO GOOD.
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1tsp of vanilla
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- ½ tsp baking powder
- Cook the 1 cup of water and ½ cup of flour over low heat
- Stir until it reaches a gluey pasty consistency
- Take it from me, don’t let the look of this mixture sway you, it’s not pretty but it helps the entire thing come together.
- Remove and let it cool COMPLETELY
- In a bowl, mix together both sugars, salt, vanilla, cocoa powder and oil
- Then add the flour water mixture
- Mix well
- Add the remaining 1 ½ cup of flour and the ½ tsp of baking powder
- Spread it out into a greased pan. The original recipe said to use an 11×7 in pan,
– I used a 10 x16 because I ended up doubling the recipe to make enough for my mom, my sister, my brother. His friend and myself, plus leftovers! Which I’m glad I did because my brother and his friend ate almost the whole thing between them!
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. OR until the middle comes out clean on a knife. I did intervals of 10 minutes only because I was nervous about how it would cook in a bigger pan and because I doubled the recipe!
Like I said I doubled the recipe and it came out delicious but also very sweet! So, next time I’d probably go a little easier with the sugar or cocoa powder, just something to keep I mind if you plan on making this to feed a lot of mouths like I did!