I hope everyone had an amazing holiday season, mine went far better than I was expecting it too!
This year was a year of new beginnings for me and I wanted to make new holiday traditions to go along with that. I have never in my life made cookies from scratch. Right out of the box was the best way to go. Until this year. I was hell-bent on making my own Christmas cookies this year for my family because it was something I had never been able to do before. AND on top of that I decided that I wanted to be even more ambitious and make those cookies VEGAN Christmas cookies. My mom honestly thought I was crazy. I thought I was too if we’re being honest. My mom and I spent a solid two hours shopping for ingredients the Friday before Christmas ( my first day off in I can’t even remember how long!). I asked my mom to come with me because I knew I was super nervous about making these and I knew I’d be freaking out at the store about how much to buy of everything, if everything was right and I knew I”d need someone to snap me out of my inevitable anxiety attack, and she did the job! I continued to spend at least another four hours after the shopping trip making these four sets of cookies I had carefully planned out and I was so anxious! The entire time I just kept thinking what if these come out terrible? what if i wasted my entire day for nothing? If these don’t come out good it will be 10x harder to convince anyone to eat anything Vegan i ever make again. My mind was spinning. BUT luckily three out of the four recipes I tried came out AMAZING. The only dud? the Cinnamon Sugar cookie… I had never even eaten a cinnamon sugar cookie before so I was sort of already expecting that one to not work out so great, the culprit? WAY TOO MUCH flour. oh well. Three out of four being a success my first time doing it? I’ll easily take those odds!
anywaysssss. The successful cookies were my peanut butter thumbprint cookies, the sugar cookies I cut out using Christmas cookie cutters, and my Chocolate Chip cookies.
Oh and you’ll never guess what else? The cookies looked exceptionally ugly. Which as We all know is my theme when im cooking 😉 and here’s where I add in the disclaimer that the featured image I used is not mine, I got it off of google, if only my cookies would ever look as good as that christmas tree cookie does!
Below I’m going to give you the recipe to how I made the Sugar cookie and the Chocolate Chip cookies ! ( I used the Enjoy Life brand chocolate chips! To keep up with the dairy free!)
- 1/2 Cup of butter ( I used Earth Balance)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup of brown sugar
- 1/4 cup of applesauce ( to replace the egg)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 tbsp of cornstarch (I completely forgot to buy this SO I just used more flour. with a ratio of 1 tbsp of cornstarch= 3 tbsp of flour, I added a 1 1/2 more of flour and all went well!)
- 1 tsp of baking POWDER
- 1/2 tsp of baking SODA
- 1/4 salt
- Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
- Using a mixer, cream up softened butter
- then add in sugar, brown sugar, vanilla, applesauce and beat for one minute.
- Add the flour, cornstarch(or more flour), salt, baking soda and baking powder and use a spoon to stir initially then use a mixer until the dough is formed
- If mixture is too wet, add more flour. ( I did have to do this!)
- The original recipe said to freeze dough for 15 minutes or refrigerate for 30-45 minutes especially if you were to use cookie cutters like I did. I’ll be honest, I only put the cookies in the fridge for 10 minutes and everything worked out just fine. You’re choice.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes. Keep a close eye that they don’t cook too much or once they cool most of the cookie will be hard. ( My edges could have been a little softer If im being honest.) My younger brother ( 15) is the first person to ” make fun” of my diet/lifestyle choice. Not in a mean way, more of just being a smart ass, but anyways, While I was making these, he came out of his room, into the kitchen, saw what I was doing, and asked if he could have one of the cookies. I knew that If these tasted terrible, he’d be 100% honest with me, I let him have one, without telling him they were made with all vegan ingredients. He ate one and LOVED IT. That alone was worth the many hours I’d already spent in that kitchen!
And now here’s the recipe for the Chocolate Chips cookies!
- 1 cup of butter ( again I used earth balance)
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup non dairy milk ( I used Almond Milk)
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 2 1/4 cup of flour
- 1/2 tbsp of salt
- 1 tsp of baking SODA
- Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven at 350 degrees
- Use a mixer to mix together Butter, sugar and brown sugar.
- Add in milk and vanilla and mix.
- Add flour, salt, Baking SODA and mix
- Stir in chocolate chips ( or press them into the dough later, you’re choice)
- Make about 8-10 minutes. ( Time may vary depending on different ovens.)
The look like more of a small mountain that a flat chocolate chip cookie but again DELICIOUS. This time approved by my mother, who is super picky with her food and sometimes has a hard time chewing certain foods but these came out so soft and yummy she had zero problem and I found her sneaking a few every now and then! Another victory!
I was exhausted after all of this ( including the other two batches of cookies I made along with these two) and my feet were SCREAMING but it was all worth it because I got to make christmas cookies, delicious cookies my family really enjoyed, they were made without using any animal products and did I mention my family really enjoyed them?! This will definitely be a tradition I keep up.